Ah, another sad tale of mismatched yarn and pattern. I really wanted to make this one work: I re-jiggered the math to suit my gauge, knit a bunch, did some more math, decided I'd probably run out of yarn, ripped it out, massaged the numbers again, cast on again, and got back through almost a whole skein before finally admitting defeat. The yarn in question, Kenzington, is a tweedy, cable-plied number that knits up pretty nicely at about 3.5 stitches per inch. The pattern, Chateau, calls for 2.5 stitches per inch ... a pretty significant discrepancy, obviously. The pattern's basically a giant rectangle, so I figured I could make it work anyway, but then I ran into the yardage problem. I've mostly recovered from a longstanding tendency to buy skimpy, almost-sweater quantities of yarn, but this was an exception - one of those last-four-skeins-at-the-LYS-sale situations. I suppose I could go rustle up a skein or two on destash, but for now I'm contemplating vests.